The historic Miner’s Union Hospital is at 7805 – 18th Avenue in Coleman, next to the Crowsnest Pass Museum. It is owned by the Municipality of Crowsnest Pass and is being restored for continued use a drop-in centre by the Coleman Seniors. Phase One of the restoration is underway and includes purchase and installation of new windows that more accurately reflect its original appearance.
One of the concessions made by the International Coal and Coke company following the 1905 strike was to provide the land, electricity, water and coal for a miner’s hospital in Coleman. Designed and built by local contractors Edmund Disney and Wes Johnston, the Miner’s Union Hospital had seventeen beds, a convalescence sun room and, upstairs, accommodation for two nurses. The hospital operated from 1906 to 1949 when a new hospital was opened in Blairmore. The building was designated a Provincial Historic Resource in 1986. The Miner’s Union Hospital and other historic buildings can be located on the Coleman Heritage Driving Tour map.